Saturday, June 25, 2016

Scratchbuilding Spaceships - Out of Control Designs

It seems the more I go on with this project, the more ship designs I come up with. As of the writing of this update, I have designed no less than ten (10) different styles of ship ranging from battleship down to frigates and escorts.

I have yet to fully detail any of the designs and have only duplicated one of them. The techniques used in their construction have been evolving as I go on and gain confidence with the materials I have at hand and what works and doesn't.

Friday, June 10, 2016

Scratchbuilding Spaceships - Group shot and parts

Here is a pic of the six different classes of ship I have developed for my fleet so far. I like how things are shaping up.

The second and third pics show a ship before any paint or detailing and a sampling of the materials I use to build them.

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Scratchbuilding Spaceships - Happy Accidents and Unwanted Decisions


While designing a cruiser as shown in the first picture, the rear part of the hull came off. Unexpectedly, it looked rather nice that way.

Without the rear section, the cruiser looks a lot like a smaller version of the battleship (also pictured). So, now I have to decide if I want to reattach the rear section or keep it as it is.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Scratchbuilding Spaceships - The Big Ships

The project continues...

After a couple of setbacks involving an unfamiliar brand of spray paint, I lost a couple of completed ship models. A light cruiser I had modeled up was trashed but will work for a wreck. The battleship, a brand new design for me, was toast beyond salvage. 

I have now rebuilt the battleship as well as a dreadnought design. After getting a handle on the new paint, I managed to get it work rather nicely for the models and so I now have all the ships in their red fleet color. Detailing remains but I have decide on whether these will be human or alien vessels and what sorts of markings they need.


Sunday, June 5, 2016

Scratchbuilding Spaceships - On to Larger Vessels.

So in my side project to create my own scratchbuilt retro 70's style space fleet, I have started from smallest, working my way up to larger designs. After designing a frigate and two destroyer class vessels, I now venture into the bigger ships - a light cruiser.

This one was a bit more involved as I found myself challenged by the larger open spaces and a need to fit heavier weapons to the design. This design incorporates a substantial bow missile launchers, two medium cannons on separate turrets and four light cannons mounted primarily for defensive purposes.

Friday, June 3, 2016

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Scratchbuilt Spaceships - Today's Build

An alternate destroyer class vessel. This type sacrifices the bow missile launchers for advanced sensors but add two additional light turrets.

I posted this one in the raw because some folks were asking to see some of these before any paint goes on. As you can see. Very basic techniques and materials. Nothing special.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...